So for those of you who may have had had your head in the clouds or have been watching too much Big Brother and not enough prime time news. NEWSFLASH!
Toledo’s drinking-water crisis traces a bad trend line on algae’s toxic blooms, and they are not the only ones who have this problem, there has been much speculation that there are other towns being in line for this type of disaster. Meanwhile, the people of Toledo and surrounding areas are being urged to limit showers, laundry and dishwashing, and forgo car-washing at home altogether, to reduce demand on the city’s water system as it undergoes further decontamination and repair.
Time magazine wrote-
“Some lake! Industrial wastes from Detroit’s auto companies, Toledo’s steel mills and the paper plants in Erie, Pa., have helped turn Lake Erie into a gigantic cesspool. Of 62 beaches along its U.S. shores, only three are rated completely safe for swimming. Even wading is unpleasant; as many as 30,000 sludge worms carpet each square yard of lake bottom. Commercial and game fish — blue pike, whitefish, sturgeon, northern pike — have nearly vanished, yielding the waters to trash fish that need less oxygen. Weeds proliferate, turning water frontage into swamp. In short, Lake Erie is in danger of dying by suffocation.”
Other locations which have been previously affected areas and have prompted closed lake beaches or led to swimming advisories from Lake Red Rock, Iowa, Vermont’s Lake Champlain to Dorena Reservoir in Oregon and from Florida’s Caloosahatchee River to Wisconsin’s Lake Menomin, so none of us are immune. The website Toxic Algae News tracks blooms nationwide (check the map to see how your state’s water and watering holes rate). Here’s its latest map. Red pins in a state mean harmful algal blooms recur annually in “many” lakes; orange pins mean they recur in one or two lakes.
I do not know about you, but I love my showers, I love clean laundry and I love to clean my dishes. Bottled water has been dispersed for those being affected by the algae issue to mitigate the drinking water dilemma however, that being said, a whole other host of problems are created by the bottled water and their industry. Eric Holthaus wrote:
“For starters, if you put all 30 billion plastic water bottles purchased in America in 2011 end-to-end, it would stretch to the moon and back seven times. We’ve all seen the documentaries showing what happens to most of that plastic. (Spoiler: It never, ever, goes away.) What’s more, we burn 17 million barrels of oil just to package up water this way (enough to power a million cars for a year), not to mention the amount we use to truck those little bottles around. (Many of which are just filled with purified tap water, anyway.)”
Recently MindBodyGreen, (0ne of my favorite sites), posted an article called “7 Reasons To Never Drink Bottled Water Again“. In it they cite the following reasons:
- Plastic bottles are not sustainable, no matter what we’ve been told.
- Most bottled water is glorified tap water at 10,000 times the cost.
- Many bottled waters contain toxins, even if they’ve nixed BPA.
- Fashion, foodies, and sustainable cities are taking back the tap. (minus freak algae issues, this comment I added)
- Local water is the new complement to local, organic food.
- There ARE gorgeous alternatives for on-the-go hydrophiles!
- Change is simple—and makes a real difference!
Thankfully Healthy Home now has The EWS Spectrum whole home water filtration and conditioning system. This system provides chlorine-free, filtered water to every sink and shower throughout your home. With this system, you can enjoy filtered water from any tap in your house, plus remove cancer-causing and endocrine disrupting chemicals from the water you use to bathe, cook and clean.
Chemicals are absorbed into the body in mere seconds. The chemicals from your water when you shower, wash your face and brush your teeth are no different. The EWS Spectrum prevents you from absorbing and inhaling contaminants, improving your entire home’s water quality. Not only will you and your family enjoy the health benefits of drinking containment-free water, but your body will feel the health benefits too. Filtering out chemicals and contaminants that cause dry, brittle hair and flaky skin will help skin and hair become soft and healthy.
This system is available to most homes on city tap water without the need for any additional filters or equipment. The EWS Spectrum filter only has to be replaced once every ten years—that’s an entire decade of clean, filtered water for you and your family!
Top 8 Benefits of The EWS Spectrum:
- Chlorine-free, filtered water to every sink and shower.
- Protects you and your family from drinking, absorbing and inhaling carcinogenic (cancer-causing) water pollutants.
- Hassle-free, self-cleaning, user-friendly appliance that only requires a filtration media change-out up to every 10 years.
- Alleviate symptoms of asthma and allergies by providing chlorine-free filtered water for showering and humidifiers.
- Eliminates the need for most sink filtration systems and the gimmicks of small showerhead and faucet filters, refrigerator filters, and carafe or pitcher filters.
- Stops the destructive effects of chlorine—dry skin, brittle hair, skin irritations, and red itchy eyes.
- Eliminates the need for expensive plastic bottles of water, which helps your budget and the planet.
- Unparalleled customer service, satisfaction, and expertise—at EWS, top-performing USA-made filtration is all they do.
We also have the Essential Drinking Water System, this system isn’t just about taste. It provides true protection from toxic contaminants. With quick and easy installation, the Essential Drinking Water System allows your family to enjoy chlorine-free, filtered water straight from your faucet with minimal maintenance. With the highest quality carbon filtration available, this system protects you from chloramine (chlorine and ammonia compound), chlorine, THMs, VOCs, pesticides, lead, cysts, rust, silt, sediment, bacteria and viruses, and more.
Benefits of EWS Water Filtration Systems:
- Save $200 to $700 per year, per person.
- The average American consumes 167 disposable plastic bottles of water a year, which amounts to over 50 billion plastic bottles and over $15 billion dollars.
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals used in the United States each year and many of them can be found in your tap water.
- Tap water and water bottles water both contain contaminants like chlorine, chloramine, VOCs, THMS, pesticides, hormones, lead pharmaceuticals and more.
- Bottled water also contains hormone-disrupting phthalates that leach from the plastic bottles.
- Bottled water is not regulated and over 22% is contaminated with chemicals above Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) limits.
- Filtered water limits your exposure to cancer-causing, hormone-disrupting chemicals.
Good for the Environment
- Over 50 billion plastic bottles are used each year and only 13% of these bottles are recycled.
- Every bottle that is thrown out with a little bit of water in it is adding up. It is estimated that 1 billion gallons of fresh water are trapped in landfill bottles.
So what better way to pay homage to the earth, get safer drinking water, stop spending tons yearly on something that is not biodegradable, pollutes our environment, is not safe and can
Healthy Home Company